Le Dimanche 12 Octobre 2003 03:50, Dominik Strnad a écrit :
> Hi,
> I compiled my own kernel based on 2.4.21 sources, patched as described
> in developer guide from J. Nilo located here:
>
> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/article.php?sid=62
>
> I patched kernel sources with appropriated patches -grzsec, freeswan
> etc.
> I compiled bzImage and modules successfully.
>
> Then I tried compress bzImage by UPX utility, but even if I compile with
> i386 support UPS utility returned error that file is not for i386
> platform and therefore canot be compressed. In current stable UPS
> release switch -f (force compresion) doesn§t work so I used beta version
> 1.90 where force switch is active. So I created compressed linux kernel.
You have to use the UPX beta version to be able to compress a linux kernel
image. This is clearly stated in the LEAF developer(s guide (end of 1.6
paragraph)
> Then I replaced modules in modules.lrp bz theirs new version, replaces
> linux kernel file in root and removed modules from initrd package - I do
> not need to insert modules at boot even I use HDD - because I compiled
> IDE support directly into kernel. Then I booted from floppy with freedos
> and syslinux and run syslinux C: command to make disk bootable for new
> kernel.
>
> Then I've tried to boot from IDE HDD. When initrd is unpacking system is
> rebooted with no error message.
This remind me a problem I had at some point with grsecurity patch, the
2.4.20 kernel and upx.
Try to boot first without compressing your kernel with UPX. Since you have
space on your HDD just copy your bzImage file and rename it linux.
If that does not fix your pb then try without applying the grsecurity patch
to your kernel. It could be that 2.4.21 grsec patch has the same flaw as the
one existing in earlier version of 2.4.20
Let us know the results
> What I did wrong? What I should do to boot new kernel version? Is there
> something special in initrd except modules which I deleted? Can I use
> non compresed version of bzImage - not to use upx if I have a lot of
> space on my hdd?
You can use non compressed version of the kernel if you wish.
Jacques