re-sent (forgot to include the list)

Michael D Schleif wrote:
* Charles Steinkuehler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004:03:13:16:47:02-0600] scribed:
<snip />

I propose making log_mnt a new leaf.cfg variable (could also come in via the kernel command line). Rather than the format you used, however, I would like to use the existing PKGPATH/LEAFCFG format (dev[:filesystem).

If the log_mnt variable is set, linuxrc would mount the log_mnt device directly to /var/log, and skip making the tmpfs ramdisk. If log_mnt is unset or null, the current behavior would result. Does this seem acceptable to everyone?

Also, any reason (or drawback) to handling /tmp exactly the same way? I realize /tmp doesn't need to be persistent, but someone might want to be able to mount /tmp on something other than a ramdisk, and I might be able to save some space (or at least not grow /linuxrc much) if I fold togheter the /var/log and /tmp processing.

Need it be hard coded? Could it be variable-ized, such that I can specify some arbitrary directory (e.g., /home) during initial configuration? That way, other future exceptions are handled in stride.

Notice that I ask this out of ignorance of what is required to
accomplish this ;>

Um...if "it" refers to where the log files reside, currently it *IS* hard-coded. We're discussing making the log partition not be hard-coded, and I'm wondering if we should go ahead and make /tmp work the same way.

If I'm mis-understanding your question, please clarify.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins, President and CEO of GenToo technologies. Learn everything from fundamentals to system administration.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1470&alloc_id=3638&op=click