At 16:36 14.03.2004 -0600, you wrote:
>re: mounting various partitions in /linuxrc
>
>I have been thinking more about this issue, and have come to the following conclusion
>(mantra).  Repeat after me:
>
>... linuxrc IS NOT init ...
>... linuxrc IS NOT init ...
>... linuxrc IS NOT init ...

true, true true....

>The sole purpose of linuxrc (IMHO) is to build enough of a filesystem so init can run
>and bring up the system proper.  linuxrc is not the place to be mounting additional
>filesystems that are not required for init to run.  Any non-volitle partitions can be
>mounted through the normal init and rcS.d methods.
>
>Note that I am unaware of a single distribution other than Bering that mounts /tmp
>and /var/log as seperate partitions prior to launching init (although obviously it's
>possible to mount most anything with the disto of your choice once init is up and
>running).

normally something like mountall() is done during init using /etc/fstab

>..
>- The creation and mounting of /var/log and /tmp should be removed from linuxrc and
>migrated to general purpose init script(s).
>
>- Installation of all but the very core packages (root.lrp, etc.lrp, ???) should be
>delegated to another new init script that executes once the full filesystem is
>mounted (avoiding the problem I had with Dachstein of trying to populate a newly
>mounted ramdisk with data that really belongs in a normal LRP file which was getting
>installed by linuxrc).

I did something similar in rload.lrp, which loaded packages from the net. It required
only the very basic packages and net access. rload is running at init level 2, then
switches to init level 3 to reinitialise the symbolic links in the init packages and
finalise the init process.

cheers

Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024 8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16