Hi.

On 12.05.2013 15:57, KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:
> Hi Andrew;
>
> well done - a first test compiles and builded image boots.
>
> I have to confess, I do not understand your thoughts below :)
> Instead a few comments/questions:
>
> 1) I saw that there is a new buildtool.pl option ("buildtool.pl
> headers"), but it's not mentioned if I run "buildtool.pl help". Also, is
> it possible, for conistency, to run that as a "build" target:
> "buildtool.pl build headers"? And probably also a "clean" target for
> headers?
This is development target, just to get fresh headers easier when distro
kernel branch is changed. This target isn't needed for usual rebuilding.
I moved it as separate target due to possible future packages with
kernel-dependent headers, and for trying to add new target.
> 2) Before we move it to master, there's need for a new target/script
> that removes everything except toolchain and headers (similar to
> cleanall.sh), otherwise there will be no time saving.
Right. Or modify cleanall.sh.

> 3) You started with a genheaders.sh script, but removed it later.
> Instead you've added repo/toolcahin/linux-headers.tar.bz2. A script to
> build a new headers file anytime in the future could be helpful.
First, I tried to make generic headers tarball + second arch-specific
tarball for asm; but I noticed that it'll be a lot easier to maintain
one tarball with all headers, + symlink asm -> asm-{platform} into
toolchain.
Making single tarball is so trivial (single tar call) that it's no need
for separate shellscript for it. And this is required when we'll switch
on some later kernel branch.
> Maybe I have some more, while working with the stuff - anyway it will be
> helpful if you can add some documenation to the Developer Guide in the
> wiki - e.g I saw that you made changes to make/toolchain/*.mk, I guess
> there might be more that needs documentation - can be a section
> "upcoming changes" at tis time.
> If you agree, we should first release a 5.0 version based on master, and
> merge your branch for 5.1 - what do you think?
It's ok; this isn't a showstopper for release - now it's still
partially-developed proof-of-concept; and before merge it still requires
some work (as I mentioned, we should specify somewhere base kernel
version for arch, and in future - for each sub-arch; now it's detected
from kernel source - so all packages are still dependent from linux
sources due to buildpacket.pl dependency).
> To me 5.0 looks pretty stable and I think a release candidate can be
> done soon, and a final version two or three weeks later.
>
> Btw: AFAIK the kernel patches for the raspberry pi will be included in
> the 3.10 linux kernel. I'll give it a try once the kernel maintainers
> provide a first version to test.
>
> kp

Good news.
But in any case we may support some embedded platforms with non-vanilla
kernels, even with different versions. So toolchain still requires work
on it.