Jack Coates wrote:

> Is there interest in massive applications in general?

Massive but not rediculous.  Perl and java are useful but
large.  A LEAF box with them gets closer and closer to
being a full distro, minus the x-windows.  Certainly
the user would need a cdrom based LEAF.  I'd like to
see java2, but only the jre.  God only knows how well
that'll work on a crippled Linux box :)

> The appliance-friendly nature of LEAF makes one think yes,
> but then the limitations of RAM disk, glibc, etc...

Yes, reinventing the wheel is bogus, and that's what happens
when we try to pack everything from a full distro into a LEAF.

> At any rate, I've just uploaded my 3.2 MB postfix.lrp to
> the www.monkeynoodle.org packages repository. If I get a chance today
> I'll see if a JRE will compile too :-)

Well that's 3.2MB of _something_, I don't know what :)

You might be interested in j2me.  That's the Java2 Micro Edition
targeted at embedded systems like color pda's and cell phones with
limited memory and space.

   http://java.sun.com/j2me/

It's like Java2 minus the swing and awt stuff.  Might work
well for people.  I'm busy writing full blown java2 apps,
but once I learn those, I may poke around with j2me also.

Regards,
Matthew