Hi

Jeff Newmiller wrote the following at 08:37 30.06.2002:
>On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Richard Amerman wrote:
>
> > All logging should idealy be done off site using a syslog deamon.
>
>Agreed.
>
> > The most important thing is not to have a breach and second to fix
> > weaknesses.  In this situation flushing the memory IS the best
> > solution to insure this, though it is not the only one, and would
> > rarely be that practicle or worth the hastle.
>
>Absolutely disagree.  Rebooting is a waste of time.  If there is a way in,
>rebooting does nothing to prevent repetition.  If there is not, rebooting
>serves no purpose.  If you are faced with a break-in in-progress, you need
>to disable external network access until the problem is rectified... not
>reboot.

Agreed, but now we have to see how we can stop such a skillful attacker.
How can we protect the RAM disks from someone determined enough to upload
and execut code bytewise. Anyone can fingerprint the IP stack and scan our
system for loopholes. Some firewall products detect this and drop the IP of
the attacker immediately until reboot. Do we have such a feature?

regards

Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024  8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16