Hi David

At 03:15 18.07.2002, you wrote:
>Hi.  Me again!
>
>By way of a reminder, I am the bloke who has a perfectly functional
>Eigerstein box who wants to upgrade to Dachstein or Bering but found
>that Dachstein would recognise the NICs and run the tulip driver as
>required, find a good 10baseT link beat, but then DHClient couldn't pick
>up IP info and DHCP isn't serving IP info internally.
>
>I have been playing around with this router of mine with the following
>results:
>
>1.      I couldn't find any DHClient and DHCPD logs.  Is that
>significant?  When the box boots progress info DOES appear on the
>screen.
>
>2.      I tried the Dachstein distro that has been set up for Bigpond
>cable but that was the same.
>
>3.      I tried Bering rc3 and that was the same as well.
>
>Could it be that the firewall is blocking the DHCP data from the ISP?
>They're broadcasting on 10.96.4.1.  That would assume that the Dachstein
>filters were different to the Eigerstein filters and that Shorewall was
>blocking the same packets as Dachstein.

It definitely could be

try

ipchains -L input

you should see something like

DENY       all  ----l-  10.0.0.0/8           anywhere              n/a

and have a look in your messages log

instructions how to overcome this can be found in

http://www.mail-archive.com/leaf-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg04115.html

HTH
Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024  8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16