James Neave wrote:
Hi,

After two or three backups of the bering and shorewall settings, the
firewall ceases to do anything. I'll explain.
The machine will boot. My local machines can ping it. But it won't
respond to any of my machines DHCP requests and I can't see the 'net'
zone.
Is dhcp listening on eth1 or do you have some other setup?

I have had times when I have attempted to backup the settings and I get
lots of disk errors, and on those occasions the disk is dead. This
usually happens when I try a complete backup. But most times it just
fails in the manner described after about the 3rd backup, usually I've
only changed the shorewall rules. All the settings appear to be saved
when it boots back up, but it just won't work. I have to re-create the
bering disk on my WinXP box and start over. :(

Do I need a nice new FDD? Admittedly, I'm also using cheap floppies as
well. Is there a good brand I can buy?

Cheers,

James L S Neave BSc(Hons)
Usually backup problems come from not enough RAM. The lrp (compressed)file is built in /tmp in before writting to the floppy. It is unlikely that you need to backup root.lrp. If you do - look at the file size before and after before rebooting. If the file size has changed drastically - copy another root.lrp in before rebooting. You might want to check available ram

# df
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/ram0 12155 3497 8658 29% /
/dev/ram1 4049 86 3963 2% /var/log