Dennis Christilaw wrote:
Ok... This is a little complicated, but simple so please bear with me.

I am running Dachstein LRP package (Floppy/CD-ROM) as my
Router/Firewall/DHCP/DNS Cashing.

I have 4 Windows Machines on my LAN all with Static IP's. I have a box
running Mandrake Linux 9 - Static IP. I have an HP Visualize C3000
running HP-UX 11.00 - Static IP (tried with DHCP). I have an Ultra SPARC
Enterprise 2 running Solaris 9 - Static IP (tried DHCP also).

Ok... Here is the issue... ALL my Windows and Linux boxes have no
problem getting on the internet when I have static IP information
assigned and/or running DHCP. I am running this all in a Workgroup model
so no domain controller here.

I have done fresh installs on both UNIX boxes but I cannot get them to
Ping outside the LAN regardless of the way I have networking set up on
them. I tried DHCP and Static IP assignment and configuration and cannot
get it to do it on either boxes. Prior to having the LRP box do my
routing, I was able to get on the net with my Sun and now I cannot. I
can ping any of my IP's on the internal network...

Can anyone point me in some direction from here? I have tried ALL kinds
of weird stuff including some strange voodoo stuff and no work...
although my wife is more agreeable... :o) (joke).... I dunno if this is
an issue with my machines or the router. Even though I can ping the
router's IP, if I run the following command (in HP-UX) "route add
default 192.168.1.254" it tells me network is unreachable... and my
ISP's DNS server's IP is 198.17.116.8 and I can ping it on my
Windows/Linux machines, but not from my UNIX boxes.

Anyhow, thanks for listening and helping... :o)

This sounds for all the world like a problem with your default route. I have no idea how to play with routing on a sun box, but I think you need to start with the low-level networking and proceed from there.

Make sure your local IP is really set correctly, and your local networks are also properly configured (IIRC, don't sun boxes have an /etc/networks file or something that lists locally connected networks?).

Once your local network info is configured properly, you should be able to set a default route. With this working properly, the next step is DNS functionality, and then you should have full internet connectivity.

The fact that DHCP isn't working properly is a bit wierd, but I don't know enough about suns to begin to tell you how to debug dynamic configuration.

I think "ipconfig -a" and "netstat -nr" should work on your sun box. Report their output if you continue to have problems.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------- This sf.net email is sponsored by:ThinkGeek Welcome to geek heaven. http://thinkgeek.com/sf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ leaf-user mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/leaf-user SR FAQ: http://leaf-project.org/pub/doc/docmanager/docid_1891.html