Steve Bihari wrote:
Hi All,

When I try to load ipsec.lrp I get a message about the kernel not having
KLIPS compiled in.  I didn't think this was required for S/WAN.  Also,
it complains that it can't find ipsec.o   I currently compiled ipsec
support directly into the kernel.  Can I not avoid having to use the
module?

You have to have the kernel KLIPS code running (either loaded as a module or compiled in) for FreeS/WAN IPSec to work.

You don't mention which version of FreeS/WAN you're trying to run, or other details of your distribution, so I can only provide general advice.

If you obtained your distribution and the IPSec package from the same source, they should work together, although you may need to load an included module, or use an alternate kernel (which should be "near" where you found the disto and ipsec package).

If you're "mixing and matching", you will likely have problems, as the kernel level code (KLIPS) and the user-space code in ispec.lrp have to match exactly.

IIRC, the auto-detection of whether or not KLIPS was compiled into the kernel, and the attempt to automatically load the ipsec.o module if KLIPS support was not found is one of the things I had to modify to get the FreeS/WAN startup scripts working properly on Dachstein. It's possible you have proper versions of all code, but are running into problems by implementing KLIPS in a way other than that tested by whoever packaged the ipsec.lrp you're using (ie compiled in vs. loaded module). If you want to check this code, it's fairly close to the start of the ipsec setup code (or at least it used to be in the version's I've worked with, but the scripts see a lot of change across the various versions).

For more detailed help, you'll have to provide more info about your kernel, distribution, and ipsec package, along with the exact errors you're seeing.

--
Charles Steinkuehler