On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm a confused what tinyproxy is able to do and couldn't find help at his
> homepage. I saw other people asking about, but must have miss the answers.

The homepage is actually pretty informative.

> The only proxy I know is squid that in my understanding, allows content
> filtering and cashing.
>
> In a LEAF environment I think ther is no space for caching and haven't
> sean much about filtering in tinyproxy.

Filtering is discussed under "Anonymous mode" and "Access control" in the
list on the homepage.

> Someone that already sed it, could please clarify what I could benefit with
> tinyproxy and what hardeware I should considere for this benefits ?

It doesn't look like caching is among the features it supports. Therefore,
the additional ram and storage requirements to use it should have very
little impact on hardware.

However, if you are concerned about phone-home programs that could give
outsiders control of your internal computers, then this proxy would refuse
to pass through arbitrary protocols outbound to port 80.  For example,
suppose someone inside your LAN with a Linux workstation wanted to use
"Firewall Tunnel" [1] on the sly by setting up an outside server that
answers on port 80 with the ssh daemon.  This proxy would disallow this,
because the ssh connection would not look like an http connection.

Even if you don't have a mole in your organization, Windows users seem to
always be activating various viruses and worms inadvertently, and a proxy
would prevent most such software from abusing the outbound port 80
permission. (Phone-home software that _does_ use http would of course be
able to get through.)

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
Work:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>              Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing