Erich,

> Hi kp
>
> Thanks for the info...
>
> At 01:41 23.08.2003 +0200, K.-P. Kirchdörfer wrote:
> >Am Freitag, 22. August 2003 13:51 schrieb Erich Titl:
> >
> >Anyway, what you are asking for is already available:
> >Point you're browser to:
> >http://www.uclibc.org/
> >look for
> >"30 June March 2003, dev systems updated to uClibc 0.9.20
> >  The uClibc development systems for i386, powerpc, arm,
> mips, have been
> >updated to uClibc 0.9.20. Several problems have been fixed
> up, gcc has been
> >updated to version 3.3, and Perl 5.8.0 is now included. "
> >
> >and follow the links.
> >
> >Pls note, none of the Bering-uClibc tested it so far, but we
> are always
> >interested in results.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to have a standardised environment for
> kernel _and_
Kernels are independant of libc.

The Bering-uClibc has found that by compiling the kernel with gcc 3.3,
the kernel gets bigger about 50k, after compression with upx.

So, for now, all kernels compiled by the Bering-uClibc will still
use gcc 2.95.

> userland compiles? It might be interesting to se how a kernel
> compiles in
> this environment.

It could be.... _but_ the recomended compiler for kernels is still gcc
2.95...
even for the 2.6 series...

All these builroot/buildtool have gcc 3.3 because most userland applications
require them...

Support for C++ is a lot better with gcc 3.3 than with any 2.x version...
At least, that's what I have been told...