Erich,

I did all the things I normally do when compiling a new kernel:
- untar the kernel (in this case into my home dirctory)
- as root adjust the link /usr/src/linux so that it points to the kernel
  source to be compiled
- exit from beeing root (in my home directory the user can do everything)
- edit the config file by menuconfig (in this case I took Jaques' original
  config file)
- make dep
- make clean
- make bzImage
While doing this step the mentioned error messages occured.
Today this I tried make modules, and got the error messages at the
end of this posting.

but there is another error message in the middle of the compiling process:
md5sum: kann hfc_pci. nicht öffnen (cannot open hfc_pci.)
md5sum: kann hfc_pci nicht öffnen (cannot open hfc_pci)

maybe these error message give a hint to the problem, even if hfc_pci
belongs to the hisax-module.

Would it be better to download the original 2.4.20 kernel source and apply
the patches myself?

Thanks

Thomas

PS: error messages while making modules:
make -C maps modules
make[3]: Entering directory
/proline/lrp_nfs/Bering1.2/linux-bering-1.2/drivers/mtd/maps'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/proline/lrp_nfs/Bering1.2/linux-bering-1.2/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i486 -DMODULE
-nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=dilnetpc  -c -o dilnetpc.o
dilnetpc.c
dilnetpc.c:374: ONFIG_MTD_DILNETPC_BOOTSIZE' undeclared here (not in a
function)
dilnetpc.c:374: initializer element is not constant
dilnetpc.c:374: (near initialization for iglvl_partition_info[0].size')
dilnetpc.c:379: ONFIG_MTD_DILNETPC_BOOTSIZE' undeclared here (not in a
function)
dilnetpc.c:379: initializer element is not constant
dilnetpc.c:379: (near initialization for iglvl_partition_info[1].size')
dilnetpc.c: In function         nit_dnpc':
dilnetpc.c:444: ONFIG_MTD_DILNETPC_BOOTSIZE' undeclared (first use in this
function)
dilnetpc.c:444: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
dilnetpc.c:444: for each function it appears in.)
make[3]: *** [dilnetpc.o] Fehler 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
/proline/lrp_nfs/Bering1.2/linux-bering-1.2/drivers/mtd/maps'
make[2]: *** [_modsubdir_maps] Fehler 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
/proline/lrp_nfs/Bering1.2/linux-bering-1.2/drivers/mtd'
make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_mtd] Fehler 2

* Erich Titl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [030923 20:20]: