At 10:08 PM 10/16/2003 -0400, C. Dummy wrote:
I bought D-link 714 P+. There is no option to disable firewall on this router.From FAQ: You cannot disable the firewall on the router. D-Link routers use *NAT* (Network Address Translation) which allows multiple hosts to share a single address and make many concurrent connections. All D-Link routers have a DMZ option which will open all incoming ports to a single computer on your local network. That gives me connection to one computer using firewall from Bering box. I'm not sure if double NAT is good. There would be NAT from Bering box and than NAT from Router. Unless Bering box will treat router as a single IP adress and Router will NAT wireless machines.
Anybody has any ideas how to make all these connections. I have Bering (1.2) box, running 3 computers on switch. Simple two interface setup. I need WAP for 2 laptops at the pick to browse internet. From what I read I should switch to 3 interfaces setup and put WiFi router on third NIC in DMZ. That would give me double NAT. Will this work? Should I try different setup?
Andrey

Well ... one option that will probably work is to use the device just as a WAP and ignore the router part entirely. I'm assuming here that the 714 has both wireless and UTP ports on the internal side (I have a 713P here, and that's what it has). To do this, you connect the LEAF router to an internal UTP port on the D-Link and make sure the LEAF interface you use is on the same network as the wireless hosts. You also need to tell the wireless hosts that the LEAF router, not the D-Link, is their default gateway, whch may mean you cannot use the D-Link for DHCP assignment. It's not so much that you "disable" the firewall as that it is that you just don't connect the external interface to anything.

I haven't run this WAP recently, but when I did, this sort of configuration worked for me. I also used a double-NAT variant of the sort you describe, and that worked too (but I didn't test it with anything tricky or demanding).

As to whether to put the WAP on the LAN or on a DMZ arrangement ... that depends on the general security model you use with your LAN. There is no short, one-size-fits-all answer to that one.