Joey Officer wrote:
I followed the threads from an archive, which ultimately died without giving
a conclusion email (perhaps I missed it) however I am looking to get the
SNMPd package working.  The thread that I found before referenced someone
using the netsnmpd.lrp file from the Dachstien CD, which I've grabbed, as
well as the libm and libdb lrp files.

I've modified the snmpd.conf file to confirm the proper community name,
however when I try an snmpwalk from another workstation on within the LAN, I
get the following:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mrtg]$ snmpwalk -m UCD-SNMP-MIB.txt -M /usr/share/snmp/mibs
firewall public
Timeout: No Response from firewall
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mrtg]$

and additionally, when I try to walk anything, I get this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mrtg]$ snmpwalk firewall public
Timeout: No Response from firewall
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mrtg]$

So I'm missing something here.  Is there a step somewhere that I've missed?
And after I get this working properly, I'd like to work with someone to
build some sort of documentation to get SNMPd working on Bering.

Did you configure your firewall rules to allow SNMP traffic?

Is the snmpd service actually started (check with netstat -na, and verify something's listening on UDP port 161).

The configuration of snmp on any LEAF variant is pretty much identical to setting it up on any other linux system (with the possible exception of remembering to modify your firewall rules), so it's not yet been the subject of a LEAF-specific step-by-step howto...just refer to the original documentation:
http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/#Documentation

Also, make sure you're using the newer net-snmp packages from Andrew Hoying (availble on DachsteinCD split into server and client packages, or from Andrew's directory on the leaf-project site as one package) rather than the "snmp.lrp" package (based on cmu-snmp 3.6b7) which has some known vunerabilities. Of course, you shouldn't be allowing snmp access from untrusted IP space anyway, but it's always good to have defense in depth.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: The Robotic Monkeys at ThinkGeek For a limited time only, get FREE Ground shipping on all orders of $35 or more. Hurry up and shop folks, this offer expires April 30th! http://www.thinkgeek.com/freeshipping/?cpg=12297 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ leaf-user mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/leaf-user SR FAQ: http://leaf-project.org/pub/doc/docmanager/docid_1891.html