AdStar wrote:

| Stupid me..
|
| I'm running Bering-uClibc
| Linux firewall 2.4.31 #1 Thu Aug 18 21:03:20 CEST 2005 i686 unknown

I assume you're familiar with:
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/guide/buci-tz.html

| But when put in the TZ file (ensuring no line breaks at the end of the TZ
| file etc), the output again is UTC.

Um...you need to make sure there's a newline at the end of the single line
in the /etc/TZ file.

| My CMOS clock is set to UTC time.

As it should be!

| I'm based in Victoria, Australia.
|
| Can anyone shed some light on my issues (how can I debug the TZ to make sure
| it's working, or know where to look to fix it).

I don't have much to help with debugging what to put in /etc/TZ, but you can
use the date command to check the settings.  See an old post of mine
regarding timezones, hardware clock settings, and ntp:

http://c0wz.steinkuehler.net/dox/ntp.txt

...scroll down to the "stupid tricks with date" section, to find a few handy
switches to pass to the date command that might be helpful...

- --
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]