Michael McClure wrote:
> It almost seems like both, but I'm no expert and can't tell you for sure.
> Here's what it does...If I'm on a client windows machine (dhcp served from
> my dachstein box), and I try to ping or browse www.macys.com, I can't
> resolve the name.  The browser returns w/a "We can't find www.macys.com".
> Ping from the Windows cmd prompt says "Ping request could not find
> www.macys.com..."  I then ssh to the dachstein box and ping www.macys.com.
>  After a long pause, it returns "PING e108.g.akamaiedge.net
> (72.246.44.134): 56 data bytes" and pings come back.  If I use the IP
> returned to browse (this is the IP entry I put in the hosts file on my
> wife's computer for jcrew.com), I can get partial pages, but end up being
> redirected to www1.macys.com and not able to resolve that.  No matter
> what, I can take any single machine off my network and plug it directly to
> the cable modem (obviously getting my 1 ip address), and everything
> browses all 3 of my "problem sites" just fine.

OK, it sounds like your problem is with name resolution.

The first thing I'd suggest (assuming you don't want to do an upgrade to
something newer, like Bering-uClibc) is bypassing the DNS cache on your
router.

Edit the /etc/dhcpd.conf file and put your ISPs name servers in the
"option domain-name-servers" line.  Restart the dhcp server (svi dhcpd
restart), and update your windows boxen (reboot or run ipconfig /renew
from a command line).  If you don't know the IP address(es) of your
ISP's DNS servers, look in the /etc/resolv.conf file and/or your ISP's
help pages (it's usually listed somewhere online, but not always easy to
find).

If you need the dnscache for reasonable network performance (ie: very
slow internet connection), I'll need some more information to debug
what's going wrong.  At the very least, the output of "net ipfilter
list" and any log entries about dropped/rejected packets.

--
Charles Steinkuehler