Charles Steinkuehler schrieb:
> Boris wrote:
>> Hej listmembers,
>

>> I need a user-usable (not shell) possibility to switch on a PC behind a
>> leaf router in a remote LAN and I'm thinking of how to do.
>
>> First idea was to create the magic paket by a protected webfrontend on a
>> server in a different location but as far as I understand this magic
>> paket is not routable to the target PC.
>
>> So the next idea is to build a web frontend on the leaf box. I don't
>> know yet about the capabilities of mhttpd. Is it possible (protection etc.)?
>
>> Any more ideas? Is there perhaps already a solution for this topic?
>
> You will need a tool on the router to generate a magic packet.
>
> Are you running ssh on the firewall?  If so, I would trigger the running
> of this tool via an ssh session with shared keys, and put the
> user-interface portion somewhere else.
>
> So...basic operation is:
>
> 1) User interacts with full-blown server system to run "wake-up" cgi
> program.
>
> 2) Wake-up CGI program connects to the firewall as a particular user
> with pre-shared ssh key (ie: ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
> 3) ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the firewall is setup to run appropriate
> script on the firewall to actually generate the magic packet.
>
> 4) Desired remote machine wakes up.  :)
>
> Depending on your network setup, there may be some additional fanciness
> involved (ie: dynamic DNS updates for your firewall if it doesn't have a
> static IP, etc), but nothing too major.

Hej Erich, Bob, Charles and others,

first thank you for your replies. After reading it all, the scenario
from Charles seems to be the most detailed while on the other hand I
don't see the main advantage. By the way: Yes, there is a sshd running.
Also, I was not mentioning this: I already have vpn-connection from my
laptop to the leaf box. Is it possible to push the magic paket through
the tunnel? That would make all other thoughts unnecessary. Sorry, I
forgot to include that in my first question.

Well, I found a tool for sending magic packets by directed broadcasts.
That should work through the vpn (= over different subnets). There seem
to be a difference between directed broadcasts and limited broadcasts.
Directed broadcasts are routable. So far. I will try to find out if the
leaf box is able to transmit directed broadcasts - tomorrow!

Thanks a lot,

Boris