On Sun, 2013-06-16 at 15:52 +0200, KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:
> Hi David;
>
> Am 16.06.2013 11:49, schrieb david M brooke:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am just wondering how much interest there would be in support for 3G
> > (or 4G, where available) wireless Internet network connectivity for
> > Bering-uClibc. Does anybody have this working already?
> >
> > I recently purchased a Huawei E3131 USB "dongle" and this works well on
> > other Linux distributions (e.g. Fedora) so it should be possible to make
> > it work on Bering-uClibc.
> >
> > That particular Huawei model presents itself as a USB Ethernet device
> > (rather than a USB Modem) which uses the cdc_ether driver. It has
> > provision for connecting an external antenna and mine cost 20 Euros.
> >
> > Typical use cases might be:
> >    - An alternative for high-speed, wired Internet in case that fails
> >       - Automatic fail-over?
> >    - Mobile or temporary installations where there is no option for
> > wired Internet connectivity
> >
> > I think the main Package we are missing in order to support this is
> > http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/
>
> Sounds interesting. Another use case clould be to use a raspberry pi as
> a router between the 3/4G internet connection and your local lan, in
> case one has no wired connection (e.g. while on a building site :)).
>
> I looked into the tarfile and it seems only require libusb (a version
> without tcl support is mentioned in the README).
>
> Do you have asked because you haven't time to start working on it? No
> promises, but I may a look at it at the next rainy weekend, but shurely
> testing will be up to you then.
>
> kp

Hi kp,

Mainly I asked to test the level of interest in the wider user
community. As you have spotted, I have a relevant use case (on a
building site with a nearby 3G mast) so I will look at this at some
point, but if there is a lot of interest I can do that sooner.

I will certainly take of Documentation and Testing. If someone with an
up-to-date BuC 4.x development environment were to prepare a
usb_modeswitch Package that would help accelerate progress ;-)

>From the docs I think our current libusb should be OK.

On Fedora there are udev rules which call usb_modeswitch but I think
maybe that is too much complexity / automation for us.
Perhaps a "pre-up" entry for in /etc/network/interfaces could be used to
run usb_modeswitch?

dMb