at 18.09.2014 20:38, Timothy Wegner wrote:
> David wrote:
>
>> If you do "press Enter to activate this console" are you able to mount the
>> USB drive manually? If not then it is probably a Driver (i.e. missing
>> Module) issue; if you can always mount it manually then it's normally a
>> timing issue, and usb_wait should help. You might need usb_wait=4 or more,
>> I guess, if 3 is not working.
>>

> In the console I don't see any device like sda1 in /dev, so I would presume
> I can't mount manually. I think the hypothesis that there is a missing
> module is a good guess.
>
> Eric wrote (off list):
>
>> And here is the failing command line from 5.1.x .... no LEAFCGF
>>
>> [    0.000000] Kernel command line: reboot=bios usb_wait=3
> console=ttyS0,19200n8 VERBOSE=1
>
> Alas, no, there was just some funny white space, LEAFCFG is there.
>
> Here's the (very long) line from a more recent bad boot:
>
> [    0.000000] Kernel command line: reboot=bios usb_wait=3
> console=ttyS0,19200n8 VERBOSE=1 intel_idle.max_cstate=0
> processor.max_cstate=1 BOOT_IMAGE=/syslinux/linux
> initrd=/initrd.lrp,/initmod.lrp rw root=/dev/ram0 LEAFCFG=/dev/sda1:vfat

OK, then it seems that the device cannot be mounted as others suggested.
Can you unpack the modules from the initrd files and see what is there.

> So syslinux.cfg is read properly.
>
> So ... right after
> LINUXRC: Looking for leaf.cfg...
>
> The bad boot 5.1 has:
> LINUXRC: Generating default dirs...
>

> The good boot 5.0.4 has:
> LINUXRC: Mounting /dev/sda1 on /var/lib/lrpkg/mnt as vfat

Yes, because it has software to deal with your usb device.

> So somehow /dev/sda1 is never mounted, and it does not appear to be a
> problem with syslinux.cfg.
>
> Assuming there is a missing module, how to diagnose and fix? This would be
> very tedious, but I can make sure that all the modules in modules.lrp of
> the good boot are in the modules.lrp for 5.1.1RC. Would that work? (I know
> *.lrp is really *.tar.gz so I can add modules by hand under Linux.)

You need to have the usb modules somewhere in the initram disk to be
able to mount the device and read all the other modules from disk. I bet
there is something missing in the initrd for you.

cheers

Erich