On 2015-01-28 05:49 AM, Brooks Harris wrote:
On 2015-01-28 05:31 AM, m...@lumieresimaginaire.com wrote:

Oops - that last one got away while I was trying to quit HTML!!!

Le 28.01.2015 11:09, Poul-Henning Kamp a écrit :

--------
In message <54c8b26d.6050...@edlmax.com>, Brooks Harris writes:

It says - "Until now the solution has been to introduce a 'leap second', in other words to stop 'official/scientific' time (Co-ordinated Universal Time, 'UTC'), for one second every so often."

 yes. completely incorrect.

Hold the phone. "to stop 'official/scientific' time"?!? How worrisome is it that the chair of the committee considering the Leap Second question could make a statement like that?

Hold the yelling: What are the chances that we can ever implement
leap-seconds in a responsible fashion, if even a such persons do
not grasp what it is ?

Probably not so much a misunderstanding as inability to communicate. I wonder sometimes whether the issue is in the term Leap , which implies jumping over something,
It doesn't help. It only "leaps" on a positive Leap Seconds.
whereas the French term "intercalaire" indicates inserting which in most cases better describes what is going on.

But its only "inserted" on positive Leap Seconds, and omitted on negative. So "insert" is not a good word either.

Also, its rarely made clear that its the counting method, the labeling or numbering, we are talking about - actual seconds are not inserted or omitted - where would they come from or go to?

In the video industry the NTSC frame rate is 30000/1001 - 30 video frames in 1.001 seconds, so a "nominal" second is slightly slower that real-time. A frame labeling counting method to compensate is called "Drop frame" - it "drops" frame numbers from the count so the hr:mn:sc nearly match true running time.

So it might be called "Leap or Drop Second Counting Method for TAI/UTC Compensation". A bit of a mouthful. "Leap Seconds" is fine so long as the meaning is made clear.

I should have said - We're stuck with name "Leap Seconds" and we need to make an effort to make its meaning clear.

-Brooks

-Brooks