> > I would have thought this would be:
> >
> >           1) correction issued as table
> >           2) correction issued as formula
>
> I think that's an orthogonal category called "corrections".  Updates
> to the table or formula can still occur on either a fixed or as-
> needed schedule.

There are some fundamental differences here.  Looking at leap years,
the formula that we have could produce a table.  The table could be
tweaked at various points to optimize things over the short term to be
better.  However, the formula that covers over 10k years is better
because it doesn't have to change, even if we have short term
variations that might be optimized away if we dropped this day a
little early or late.

So to chose a formula might mean that we accept a slightly larger
UT1-UTC offset at times, but do so in the same of the long term
average and simplicity of implementation.

There is an implicit assumption in this argument, however, that a
table would be necessarily more complicated than a formula for leap
seconds, I guess.

Warner