>         But it seems like a) way more hassle than editing a wiki directly and
> b) requires a github account.

The github account is the same as the wiki account, but I do agree
that is more hassle mainly because it's not an integrated experience

>         I do some stuff with github, but so far directly editing the wiki was
> less anoying than using the github editors (I use both the github editor and
> github wiki for other purposes and do not really like them too much)

My focus here is not to deter too much eventual contributions, but
boost the amount/quality/easiness of complex contributions that can be
made

>         So I tried that, it appears to be in a middle ground, not as
> convoluted as I expected it, but also not as "direct" as editing the current
> wiki. As you promised most of the additional steps are reduced to reading a
> bit and clicking through. I guess I might even try to add details under such
> a scheme, but the hurdles would be higher (which might not be a bad thing in
> itself).

I don't mind developing a guide if you would find it easier that way [1]

>         Wasted time mostly in assessing whether I really want to do this
> multiple times, while editing the wiki feels more immediate (I am ignoring
> the fact that the github editor is pretty plain and does not offer any help
> in how to format things nicely/correctly; I assume one gets used to that and
> the current wiki editor is not that great either)

I know the feeling, I wish there was an easier way, which probably
with time will be possible to hook, but for now I would just focus on
the port and the content.

>         Well, I am around for some time, but my 10 year younger self, upon
> seeing the raw .rst .n the github editor, would have just bailed out...

Agreed

>         I am not 100% convinced that the LEDE user guides lend themselves to
> such a continuous text representation.

They don't! I had to edit most of the Quick Start guide to have a
single flow. I think however now is more clear on the possibilities
offered.

>         Ideally the user would not need to deal with the under laying syntax
> (unless they would want to) a WYSIWYG-Interface for casual edits makes things
> friendlier to newcomers IMHO.

Yep, if you check out [1] people actually recommends using an online
visualizer. http://rst.ninjs.org

I do agree that it would really cool to have an integrated experience
though, although my main focus with this proposal is:

 * Restructure content as a book, so that it can be exported as
singlehtml, pdf, ebook
 * Gather user feedback on what parts are not clear/need to be fixed
through the issue tracking
 * Ease translations through already available online translation platforms

On later stages:

 * Transform the documentation in a fully fledged book that can serve
as a manual for openwrt
 * Version different API versions depending on the release
 * Track changes between versions from the user perspective
 * Document infrastructure stuff like adding buildbot nodes etc.
 * Document internal software and libraries (unless we generate a new
project for each of them to be portable/usable in other
distributions/OS)

>         Given the fun to edit the .rst without any help this kind of checking
> seems advisable ;)

Agreed, I will add it to the stuff to be done after the decision. My
idea for now was:
 * Add checks in internal links
 * Add checks to external links
 * Make sure that the documentation compiles

>         Just coming from one of the user guides, so admittedly biased and
> remote from the core documentation; a book would only superficially "bind"
> the sqm guide (https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/sqm) and the qos
> guide (https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/traffic_shaping) into
> something coherent, they still would not be of one style and scope. But both
> certainly are better than not having either of them.

We would need to edit the content for organizing it as a book. We can
easily add a chapter of use cases that can be implemented using
OpenWRT/LEDE, and those guides be part of it.

I don't hide that it will involve work, but I am confident that the
result will be a more manageable guide to master the project
possibilities.

Javier

[1] a base guide: https://socorro.readthedocs.io/en/v8/writingdocs.html