If you pull the latest (from like five minutes ago) then C-c TAB does
an entry completion based only on the transactions in the current
buffer and only looks at the beginning of the payee (it did it before
but didn't fully copy the payee line).  This might be more what you
are looking for.

--
Craig, Corona De Tucson, AZ
enderw88.wordpress.com