Mostly paranoia. Since switching from gnucash to ledger I've messed things
up majorly a couple times with overzealous search and replace "cleanup" and
want to avoid that as much as possible.

My main use case is that I get a stock statement and want to do an account
reconciliation at the lot level. Adding some asserts as a marker for next
time would be nice in case I screw something up in the interim.