Greetings,

It's a fresh year and I've been seeing ledger come up on the Org-mode
mailing list for some time and decided to give it a try. I'm coming
from Moneydance and just wanted to get away from the tedious GUI
method of adding information, as well as have flexibility to generate
my own reports/visualizations with python or R, etc. [1]

Consider that I'm about a week into reading through docs here and
there during evenings. My first step was going to be importing a
downloaded .csv from my bank to get started. I'm still trying to
verify I get the terminology, so I'll use this from the manual:

>From 5.1 Basic format:
```
This transaction has a date, a payee or description, a target account
(the first posting), and a source account (the second posting). Each
posting specifies what action is taken related to that account.
```

>From 7.2.1.2 The convert command:
```
The fields ledger can recognize contain these case-insensitive strings
date, posted, code, payee or desc or description, amount, cost,total,
and note.
```

For my purposes, I import my finances primarily to "categorize" (what
I believe here is called adding an account) and assign a payee so that
I can track my spending against a budget. So, I'm surprised there's no
special column keyword I can add for "account". It appears that all I
can do is pass, say, `--account "assets:checking"` to have ledger know
it's against assets:checking? Is that correct?

>From trying to google "import csv account ledger" or similar
variations, I've been surprised that the only tools to do something
like this appear to be interactive one-trans-at-a-time programs like
icsv2ledger and reckon (granted, they can learn or follow rules). I
could quickly go through my bank's .csv and add exp:food:dining,
exp:auto:fuel to my ~100 transactions a month and have those imported
just like the other column data.

I feel like I must be missing something with respect to getting the
from/to accounts added to the bank data.

Perhaps to take a step back...
- are the majority of folks writing their transactions by hand in ledger format?
- is there some better way to import bulk data (e.g. via ledger's
convert function) and post-edit once it's in ledger format? It seemed
a .csv in LO calc was pretty convenient vs. scrolling through a long
text file
- any other pointers along the above lines would be most welcome.

I tried to search the list for more of this sort of question, so
forgive me if I've missed something. Replying with links pointing me
in the right direction would be plenty sufficient if this has already
been discussed!

Thanks!
John

[1] http://moneydance.com/