On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 08:44:20AM -0800, Simon Michael wrote:
> Related to naming.. what do we call this whole topic, anyway ? Stefano
> used the phrase "command-line accounting". But we have curses and web
> GUIs too. "Plain-text accounting" ? Pretty soon we'll probably support
> some non-text storage format. "Ledger clones" ? Too narrow. Aside: in
> conversation, I use "ledger-likes" for things similar to but not
> necessarily compatible with Ledger (ledger, hledger beancount, abandon,
> penny) and "*ledger" for very compatible ledger-likes (ledger, hledger).
>
> Any thoughts ?

I believe I've first seen the usage of "CLI accounting" to refer
generically to the ledger/hledger/beancount/etc. community in some of
Martin Blais' design documents for beancount.

I don't think it's a very appropriate term either (for the same reasons
you mentioned), and IIRC I briefly discussed naming with Martin back
then, although only in private mail. I do agree with both Martin and you
that we do need a generic expression to characterize this amazing
community. So I just went along with Martin's lead in my previous mail,
for the sake of simplicity :-)

Now, if we're back to the drawing board (and hence opening the
bikeshedding gates!), I think the most accurate would indeed be "plain
text accounting". Plain text is the most distinguishing trait of what
we're collectively doing here. We might end up having *additional* non
text-based storage formats, but having only those will profoundly change
the target public and, hence, the community itself I believe.

Other traits (and in particular CLI approaches) are less defining.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  z...@upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .