Hi,

I wanted to ask the mailing list for a kind of "best practice" approach
when working with multiple "physical" (that word doesn't fit at all,
though) accounts, like bank, credit card, PayPal etc.

To import data from the past into ledger, I have written scripts that
read my account statements from multiple accounts (CSV in all possible
formats, PDFs etc.) and write them to ledger files, such as
"credit-card.ledger", "savings.ledger", "paypal.ledger" etc. Now with
that approach, I can do stuff like
  $ ledger -f credit-card.ledger -f savings.ledger -f paypal.ledger bal
and that works correctly, but there are several issues I was thinking
about:

- The entries are in correct date order within each file, but when I
  combine them (either using multiple `-f` parameters or one file with
  `include` directive) then they are not, so without extra sorting
  parameters, `ledger reg` gives an unordered output. Also, balance
  assertions for transactions from one of those account to another
  account do not work if the transaction is not in the correct
  position. Therefore I considered to write a script that merges these
  files in the correct date order into some big "all.ledger" file.

- For future updates, of course I want to use the exact same scripts,
  rather than adding transactions by hand. In fact, since I add my cash
  expenses to a mobile app right away and can import into ledger from
  there, it should hardly be necessary to add transactions manually.
  That means that every month or so (whenever a new account statement
  arrives), I would re-run my scripts and then merge them with
  all.ledger. However, I would have to deal with transactions that
  appear in *two* account statements (like, when sending money from my
  savings account to PayPal).

- Often it will become necessary to edit transactions by hand, for
  example, change the clearing state, add or remove tags or edit the
  payee. I wonder in which files to do this and if it will work
  correctly with merging.

So, all of this is not exactly rocket science and surely doable, but I
thought that probably everyone that maintains multiple files and/or does
not enter all transactions by hand must have run into similar issues, so
maybe there is a set of recommendations or best practices, or even
helper scripts available? Looking forward to hearing any advice!

Thanks,
Tobias