Since I don't have every detail of Ledger's syntax memorized, and there are
a few standard reports that I run regularly, I have several ledger command
lines recorded as comments in my journal that I can copy and paste as
needed.

I'd really like to be able to run those automatically. Here's an easy,
straightforward implementation that feels very "ledger-y" to me: add a
"report" directive to save named reports in the journal, and a "report"
command to run those reports.

The syntax for the directive might be:
*report <name of report> <ledger command line arguments>*To run the report,
you'd run at the command line: *ledger report <name of report>*

So, for example, you could use the directive like this: *report salestax
--period 'every 3 months from 2015-12-01' register*

To run this report, instead of typing all the arguments, you'd just run the
command:

*ledger report salestax*The result would be the same as if you had run: *ledger
--period 'every 3 months from 2015-12-01' register*

This feels to me very much in keeping with ledger's philosophy and way of
doing things. What do other people think of it?