Hello,

I love my plaintext accounting, but I've finally come across a problem that
I don't even know how to approach...

I get a really good work perk, where I have an allowance of £1000 to buy
clothes at a discount of 50%. The allowance is based on the RRP of the item
of clothing, so for example:

   1. I have a £1000 allowance.
   2. I want a £40 shirt.
   3. I pay £20 in store.
   4. My allowance is reduced by £40, leaving £960 remaining.

I modelled this in ledger by putting transactions for the amount I paid -
i.e. £20 for the shirt:

2017/01/18 * My Shirt
   Expenses:Purchase
    £20
   Assets:Allowance

I then had an expression which added any Purchase to a second Discount
balance, and removed that from my allowance:

= Purchase
    Expenses:Discount
    (amount)
    Assets:Allowance
     (-amount)

This works fine.

My issue is that my company have now changed the policy to be even more
generous (unheard of right)! They now give me an allowance of £1000 to buy
at 50% discount, followed by a further £2500 at a 25% discount. Once the
first £1000 allowance is finished, the second £2500 allowance begins.

Does anyone have any good solutions of how to model this? Ideally, I'd like
ledger to work out for me what discounts apply where, rather than do it by
hand... I figured I'd need to start inputting the full RRP in the
Expenses:Purchase transaction, followed by an expression which checks the
remaining balances, but I don't know how to do that?

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Pete