I'm trying to set up an envelope budget system, inspired by this guide:

https://frdmtoplay.com/envelope-budgeting-with-ledger/

(The key difference is I'm using unbalanced virtual transactions, instead
of balancing them, which makes things much simpler. That's not really
relevant here though)

Consider this example:

= /Expense/
    (Budget)  -1

01/01 Paid
    Assets  $100
    Income
    (Budget)  $100

01/02 Lunch
    Expense  $10
    Assets

01/03 Assertions
    Assets   $0 = $90
    Expense  $0 = $10
    Budget   $0 = $90

The automated transaction sets up an automatic mirroring of expenses and
budgets. The transaction on 01/01 as income, which adds money to Assets,
and virtually to the Budget. The transaction on 01/02 is an expense, which
is the usual Assets to Expense, plus a virtual lowering of the Budget,
thanks to the automated transaction.

The final section is something I haven't seen in any docs, but I've found
quite useful. I use this pattern for reconciliation, and it has worked
quite well for me.

Running `ledger balance --permissive` with the above file gives the
expected output:

                 $90  Assets
                 $10  Expense
               $-100  Income
--------------------
                   0

However, leaving off permissive throws this error

While parsing file "test.ledger", line 16:
While parsing posting:
  Budget   $0 = $90
                ^^^
Error: Balance assertion off by $-10 (expected to see $100)

It seems that the automated transaction has not taken affect when the
balance assertion is evaluated. I consider this a bug.

Any advice?
-Mike Cooper