> I feel like we've added a lot of work (assuming no automation)

Agreed. Without automation, it’s probably not worth the effort. In fact,
this whole discussion started with me asking for help with the automation,
and others asking why I would want to do such a thing.

> without solving the problem.

If it doesn’t solve any problem you have, and if it makes life harder for
you in some way, then of course you shouldn’t do it.

If it doesn’t solve any problem you have, but it doesn’t create any work,
then I would suggest that my way is better, because it hews closer to the
double-entry model. The closer you stay to that model, the more use you can
get from Ledger’s general purpose tools for handling double-entry accounts.