Hi,

how do you record reimbursements that originate from overpaid expenses?
Should I debit an expenses account or should I record the reimbursement as
income?

For me this question typically arises on a regular basis when providers for
gas or electricity read the meter: I pay for utilities each month, and each
year I either have to pay for the quantity I consumed in excess or I get
reimbursed because I consumed less than what has been estimated the year
before.

Say I lived frugally and get reimbursed, what is the account I should debit
when crediting my checking account?

2017/07/10 My Electricity Provider
  Assets:Checking                     100.00 EUR
  Expenses:Utilities:Electricity
(where "Expenses:Utilities:Electricity" is the account I credit each month)

or

2017/07/10 My Electricity Provider
  Assets:Checking                     100.00 EUR
  Income:Reimbursements

- How do you do it?