> Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:36:03 -0700 (PDT)
> From: freak.f...@gmail.com
>
> Editing the original transaction is what I normally do when it's a one time
> expense and reimbursement (buying something and returning it back later)
> and it feels to reflect reality most accurately. But in this case this is
> not a viable option as I would have to change several transactions (I pay
> each month a fixed amount for utilities based on an estimate of the actual
> consumption).
>
> So transferring back from the expense account seems like the second best
> option, but it's hassle free...

Still another option is to use an intermediate (say) liability account
and split it into two or three transactions: one when you make the
payment, one when you learn the actual cost, and one when you get a
reimbursement.  If you get the reimbursement at the same time, you can
merge the latter two transactions into one.

; 1. Make the early estimated payment.
2017/07/01 (123) My Electricity Provider
    Liabilities:Electric:June         500.00 EUR
    Assets:Checking

; 2. Find out what the actual expense was.
2017/07/10 My Electricity Provider
    Expenses:Electric                 400.00 EUR
    Assets:Reimbursement:Electric     100.00 EUR
    Liabilities:Electric:June         = 0.00 EUR

; 3. Receive reimbursement.
2017/07/14 My Electricity Provider
    Assets:Checking                   100.00 EUR
    Assets:Reimbursement:Electric     = 0.00 EUR

; Or,  2/3. Get a bill with reimbursement cheque all at once.
2017/07/10 My Elctricity Provider
    Expenses:Electric                 400.00 EUR
    Assets:Checking                   100.00 EUR
    Liabilities:Electric:June         = 0.00 EUR

I suggest an account under Liabilities because if you ever don't pay
up front, the balance will just go negative as liabilities normally
are, and that represents money you owe; a positive balance just means
you prepaid what you will owe.  Of course, you could call it anything
you want: Assets:Prepayments:Electric, Escrow:Electric, &c.