The problem with this method is that one has to manually compute and insert
the aggregate cost basis on every reduction.

(FWIW, I intended to automate this in Beancount, and did all the changes to
support various booking methods (e.g. FIFO) and they work... but I ran out
of steam and left a single method yet to implement... and that's the one:
average cost booking. It aims to do precisely what's described here --
whenever a lot reduction occurs or the user specifies a '*' flag in the
cost, the costs are averages and the lots merged at that point.)