On Jan 15, 2018, at 2:52 PM, John Wiegley <jwieg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> RN> If I run that at the beginning of the quarter, that's three months, but
> RN> near the end of the quarter it may only be one day. Is there a way to say
> RN> the equivalent of:
>
> RN> ledger --forecast "d<[3 months from today]" ...
>
> Right now we don't define "time math", so there's no such notion as "today + 3
> months", although this really wouldn't be that hard to do.  Until then, you
> can use the power of the shell:
>
>    ledger --forecast "d<[$(date --date='now + 3 months' +'%Y/%m/%d')]”

Thanks a lot. That’s so obvious in retrospect that it’s a little embarrassing.
Just what I needed.

For anyone interested, here’s the whole alias I was building. It tells me if my
checking account minus my credit cards is projected to be too low in the near
future (including future periodic and budgeted items). The -v on date is
because this is on a Mac, which doesn’t have the --date option.

alias forecast='ledger --forecast "d<[$(date -v+90d +%Y/%m/%d)]" --display
"d>today" --bold-if "total < 1000" reg Assets::Checking “Credit Cards"'

-Rob