Thanks, Taylor. That's probably the best advice re: account usage. I just
had one account that I recently extended with a sub-account that had this
problem, so I changed my setup.

(I have a grid program that shows things by years that could exhibit the
same behavior. Perhaps I need to use ledger's grand total rather than my
own, which will at least hint at the discrepancy.)