Story so far, a lost Friday evening, 2 defeats and a win........

Fourth and last group match against Halifax: who were the Veterans
competition winners last year. Against the best team in the group (there is
a twist on Sunday afternoon) we were again committed and organised. Halifax
had two players in particular who were very good, the lad up front for them,
we snuffed out. But equally their lad at the back completely dominated the
Halifax half of the pitch. The match never felt like a nil-nil, it was fast
and committed from both sides so there was always the possibility of a
mistake. Yep, indeed, we made it. A leg stuck out in the penalty area and a
tumbling forward. It looked very soft from where I was but a penalty
nonetheless. 0-1

We were spared an 8 o clock start on the Sunday which was a good job. We'd
made arrangements to phone later on the Satdi evening to see about going
out. When I saw Dean on Sunday morning I apologised for not phoning. "But
you did" he said giving me a funny look. I have no recollection of it at all
- apparently I'd called other people too. I'd gone out with some of the lads
from Lens and it's true we had a very good time even though we didn't go
anywhere particulally exciting. The highlight of the evening that I remember
(!!) was getting the 14 yr old son of one of my new friends from Lens his
first lipstick smears off a long-legged mini-skirted Russian blond beauty
called Alexandra. "Don't say he's 14, don't say he's 14" wittered on the
others we'd managed to collect along the way. "They'll throw us out". Don't
worry girls - we were into them for far too much money by then. There was no
way we were going to get thrown out :)

Back to the football. I left the rest of the slivo back in the room. I could
only manage one bit of bacon for breakfast along with six cups of tea, two
obligatory asprins then off to the pitch.

Preliminary knowkout round v Stockport. Pretty much a stalemate. The
highlights for me were a deadleg (that still is giving me trouble) and
missing a header I should have buried because I didn't believe. 0-0 extra
time 0-0. Penalties 4-5 10 pretty good penalties, our penultimate one
hitting the underside of the bar and bouncing down onto the line. 1 cm too
high, shades of the QPR semi way back...

Out of the competition before 10h00 tant pis.

Bury eventually beat Halifax on penalties in the final. We lost to both of
them but neither of them were much better than us. If we get a goal scorer
for next year we can win the thing ;)

Damian

PS lots & lots of thanks to lots and lots of people but especiallyto Dean,
Roger, Betty and Dave Dowden - Thanks guys A+