Tim, you need to get it into your head that Ridsdale's gamble could  NEVER
have worked!!!

It's nothing to do with football - it's all to do with the economics of
running a business.

95% of our turnover was accounted for by the wage bill. That leaves 5% to
cover all other costs, including the punitive interest charged on the
borrowings  that were used to sign the f*cking players.

The only way to pay the interest was to increase the turnover - the only
way to do that without having to sell players was to qualify for the
champions  league, year in, year out. The board should never have allowed
Ridsdale
to put  such a plan into action. Leighton (the star business non-exec) should
have  stopped it. He didn't. so he's as culpable as Publicity Pete.

ZERO risk management. 100% destined to fail.

You can convince yourself that O'Dreary's daft book or Brian Kidd or the
sodding goldfish are to blame. They aren't. They're just excuses that fans
can  understand. Look at the balance sheet for the real reasons.

There is only one way to live the dream in football - back your ambitions
with enormous, private wealth.

>>First of all Mark, I need to stress I'm not  picking on you today!! ;-)
BUT ... I do think there is a lot of credence in  what Damien says. Looking
back at that whole saga and the current state of  clubs 'chasing the
dream', the Ridsdale gamble was/is the only way to break  the mould. Teams
come and go and flirt with the top 4, but ultimately fail  because of a
lack of strength in depth, ottenham are the current nearly men  and are
only nearly men bacause they have not 'done a ridsdale'.
Had  O'Leary not published that bloody book and, in doing so, alienated a
team  that was with him and playing care free flowing footy and then got
Brian  fcuking Kidd in to stifle all that was good about the team, then
maybe, just  maybe, we would have been succesful in the gamble.<<