Nah, Bates is a businessman. He would have a very clear (and non-risky)
ROI on his 7m, and be investing that cash confident that he will get it
back in a few years.

If he risked it on players, he would have a high risk strategy with
potentially nothing in return.

He is a businessman, not a football (or Leeds) fan. He is in this for the
money, and hence all investments made will be low (or at least measured)
risk.
Alec

--
Alec McQueen