Well I'm glad Murray's doing well and I enjoy watching him. He's got better and
improved, and I don't just
mean winning grand slams and getting to world number one but he's matured and
controls his emotions
more than he used to. True he can still lose it and a Federer he's not, someone
else I enjoy watching and
still has style, elegance and class even though he's arguably past his best.
That though isn't everything.
Tim Henman just didn't have it thought I wished him well. Going back I used to
like Jimmy Conners and
Bjorn Borg, two quite different personalities. McEnroe I didn't like at first
but grew to, the opposite to
Nastase who I used to like but has now blown it.

Murray has had a dip after getting to No 1 last year but seems to be finding
his form again and has
definitely got better each round in the French Open. He's got a good chance
this afternoon and I shall
watch. Things are going his way, Djokovic has just lost in straight sets
(though is through with his
opponent retiring). Could be a Nadal v Murray final.

As for this list sure it's changed but then things are always changing. It's
part of life, if things didn't
change there'd be no development, if the world didn't change it's be the end of
everything. Footie has
changed, maybe not beyond recognition but it's not the same game I grew up
with, at least at the higher
levels and the wall to wall footie 24/7 on tv. It's football Jim but not as we
know it. We change as well. I
know longer see things in the black and white I used to. I've even given up on
an irrational hated from
that team for Salford as well as various others. Still it's good to have
Thirkers back on the list. There's a
few other oldies still about, just not quite as vocal as in the past, and maybe
some others will return as
well.

For anyone who hasn't been to Whitby the do so. There's much to be recommended.
Not just Thirkers
and some of the best fish and chips you can find but a magnificent Abbey (ruins
of),  shades of Bram
Stoker and Dracula, whaling, a magnificent town and glorious surroundings with
the North Yorkshire
Moors.

guy

On 5 Jun 2017 at 16:37, Graham Thirkill wrote:

Rob heath answered me with:-
> I did indeed love good old "Come on" Tim. Winning is not everything in sport,
> although it's amazing how many people watch or play sport yet don't know
> that. P.s. No.

Maybe if your statement is true to yourself, then that´s why you are a Leeds
United supporter. Did you
know Billy Bremner wrote a book, 'You get nowt for being second´...........or
seventh...He wouldn´t have
agreed with you, perhaps. Winning is very important as everyone knows and
winning surely is why
professional people do sport. I am not saying winning is everything but the old
Olympic aying, "The
most important thing is not winning but taking part, was when the Games were
played and competed
bateurs¦¦Before cash rule sports¦.Me personally would prefer winning and saying
hard luck to the
losers.
Anyhow Rob, we all have our opinions, but I go along more with Billy Bremner,
than your good self.
Have a good afternoon and evening.
Cheers and Beers
Thirkers\]098/

Ps Andy looks to have the best chance of reaching the final, he should blast
either of these two
lightweights off the court.........Maybe you will become a fan of Andy´s.... eh?

> On 5 Jun 2017 21:57, "Graham Thirkill" <graham.thirki...@btinternet.com
> <mailto:graham.thirki...@btinternet.com>> wrote:
> Maybe because he´s a winner and world number one.......each to their own
> Rob....Maybe, then, you drooled over, never-one-owt, Tim Henman..... he had
> charisma but little else IMHHO........
>
> Cheers and Beers
> Thirkers
>
> PS....Did you visit me in Whitby at my business, about 15 years ago, with
> your son???????? If so,
> I hope he still has the John Charles signed programme I have gave him....????
> Sorry if I´m wrong,
> but it was a long time ago, but a few people used to come to see me in
> Whitby.....
>

> Rob Heath Posted;_
>> You're going to think I'm being deliberately contrary, but I have to say
>> that I cannot warm to Murray.
>>
>> I used to despise him with a passion........after he single handedly won us
>> the Davis Cup I tried hard to
like him, but I just can't.

>> For some reason, style is SO important in tennis. Murray is undoubtedly a
>> impressively effective
player who yes does play some great shots, and yes he's a fantastic competitor
but he's got none of the
style or charisma of, as a perfect example, these two fabulous players who are
on court now........Monfils
and Wawrinka.

>> On 5 Jun 2017 20:52, "Graham Thirkill" <graham.thirki...@btinternet.com
<mailto:graham.thirki...@btinternet.com>> wrote:
>> Just watched World "Number One" Andy Murray cruise through to the last eight
>> in the French open,
three sets to nil. I remember a few years ago I seemed to be the only Andy
Murray fan on this list. I
mentioned his name and got blasted by a few on here.
>> Not one other lister had a good word to say about him, I distinctly remember
>> that......although that
didn´t really surprise me. Seeing as he has won just about everything and being
knighted as well, I
suppose some of you will dislike him even more......It is because he´s a winner
or a Scot or that he´s
both...............Just wondered???????