Couldn't attend tonight so view is from the armchair:
I don't think it was convincing which it hasn't been for a while but that's
another home win against a lively Reading team. The penalty save was excellent
and I was pleased for Peacock who I thought was excellent throughout. The
penalty raised my question about Douglas who I don't think can defend. He
really struggled tonight and he frequently gets beat or has to foul the
opposition player. I think Sky gave him man of the match and if they did that
was a bad decision. Yes going forward he's probably the best left back in the
league but I am worried about his defensive abilities. Together with Dallas at
right back I think we've got some problems at the back that the better teams
will expose.
I thought first half we were too pedestrian and it's all too predictable. I
thought Roofe was lively up front and was unlucky not to get a brace but I
still maintain that playing up front on his own is too limited and relies on
midfielders doing something special.
The changes at half-time had two affects. First, it gave us more attacking
options especially on the right with Clarke however on the minus side I thought
it opened up midfield and they took a bit of control and started to look
threatening.
Hernandez had one of those frustrating games where he got in to half a dozen
excellent positions but wasted everyone.
Scores:
Peacock - 10. Great penalty save coupled with commanding his area well / good
distribution.
Dallas - 7. I thought he did well coming forward first half but second half he
was out of position a couple of times. Not surprising given he's stood in the
opposition box scoring goals.
Douglas - 5. I thought defensively he was very poor tonight. Yes he did well
coming forward especially for the goal but he's a defender first and foremost.
Cooper - 9. I thought he was tremendous. Last man on many occassions, cleaning
up and putting in the last tackle on numerous occassions. I've never been a big
fan because I think he's always a minute away from a f'ck up but he's looking
very confident at the moment.
Philips - 8. Playing at centre back for the first time, he didn't put a foot
wrong an put plenty of good tackles in.
Forshaw - 7. I thought he was a bit negative tonight. Most of his passes were
backwards and he seemed to be isolated at times.
Klich - 6. Plenty of good running in the first half and he was involved in our
best moves but it's not really happening for him at the moment. Probably since
the fans starting singing that awful song. He'll probably never score again.
Allioski - 3. Disgraceful dive first half. I can't stand him, he's an awful
player. Glad he was dragged off at half-time
Roofe - 8. I thought he was excellent. On his own up front must be hard when
your 4 ft 10. He was lucky not to score and worked really hard.
Hernandez - 6. Not his best game but still lots of running and was involved in
the goal.
Subs:
Clarke - more effective than Allioski. Not everything came off and he arguably
should have played Siaz in on the break but he was off side. The thing I liked
about him is that even when something didn't come off he wasn't scared to get
hold of the ball and run at Reading. Exciting player.
Siaz - made a difference.
Shackleton - busy
Big game Saturday. Hope Jansson is fit.