Arguably the best result of the season so far but also possibly the worst
performance given the opposition were in my opinion the poorest we've faced to
date. We don't play as well at home and I think the pitch is now contributing
to that fact. The amount of times players stumbled or fell over which led to a
loss of possession was noticeable. Rodrigo looked like he was wearing his
slippers, continually sliding and slipping on the grass. To play our type of
football we need a good surface and at the moment the ER pitch is not helping
us.
First half wasn't too bad and we had the better of things but as always we
failed to take our chances. The best chance was provided on a plate with gold
cutlery by Raphinha for Harrison. It was easier to score but he managed to side
foot it into the keeper's path. He missed a similar chance at Old Trafford and
you would have hoped he would have pushed on after a great Newcastle 2nd half
but he has returned to his inconsistent form. Rodrigo, who never really got
going in this match, missed the other great chance. After a great ball to the
wing he then charged into the box to meet the header but placed it high into
the South Stand.
The ref was poor and he gave a lot of strange decisions. Our pen wasn't a pen
even after been checked by VAR ? and their goal was a definite goal as Miesler
just came out and took out their attacked before Barnes smashed it in the net.
2nd half you could argue was Plan B for Bielsa although it certainly wasn't
intentional. We spent most of the 45 mins with our backs to goal defending
desperately. Bielsa took Rodrigo and Raphinha off and replaced with Poveda and
Pablo. With Pablo dragged deep and Poveda almost playing as a right back this
didn't change anything and we were restricted to a few counter attacks, one of
which should have resuted in a goal but Pablo was greedy rather than laying it
off to the unmarked Harrison. He would have missed it anyway.
Ou defence did well under great pressure and it was great to see Miesler coming
off his line to get to each set piece delivery. At times, it wasn't convincing
but he did manage to get his hands to a lot of balls and this without doubt was
a major factor in preventing Wood and co getting their headers in. It's good to
see a major change in tactics like that which produced immediate results.
Ayling and Philips got their headers in and we hung on without any real danger.
Burnley will be in that relegation battle and the reason is that their forwards
are championship. I've never watched Chris Wood play in the PL and to be honest
I'm surprised he's managed 1 in 3 since he joined Burnley (how many pens ?).
He's slow, ponderous and only effective when the ball is put on his head from 3
yards out. Lucklily for us he even managed to mess up his only chance from 3
yards.
So on to WBA and hopefully another 3 points,
Scores;
Miesler - 8. The main reason we kept a clean sheet today.
Ayling - 7. Defended well, no chances to get forward.
Allioski - 5. I thought he was a real weak link in this backs to the wall
performance. His defending is lacking.
Philips - 8. I thought he did really well. He anticipated their play very well
and beat Wood and co to many headers. Maybe centre back is his position? He
certainly reads the game well. I do think that Burnley and especially Wood were
tailor made for Philips and Ayling. It might look a bit different against Son
and Kane next week. In my opinion we should have a centre back lined up for Jan
1st. If we haven't then for me this is poor management.  Llorente is Spanish
for Forshaw (I nicked that from Twitter) and Koch is effectively out for the
season.
The Ripper (aka Strujik) - 7. I thought he did well battling for every ball.
Dallas - 7. Could and should have done better with his chance in the first half
but he worked hard in the different positions he was asked to play.
Klich - 4. If there is one player who is struggling at the moment it's Klich.
His shooting has gone and all those intelligent little passes are just not
coming off. He doesn't look fit and the space that Burnely had early 2nd half
and the space that Scum had is down to the fact that he isn't tracking back
like we know he can do.  Shackleton did a much better job when he replaced him
2nd half. He's even given up the penalties. Worrying times for Klich.
Rodrigo - 5. Never got going but even when he's not quite at it, he always
looks dangerous. I think the better substitution 2nd half would have been to
take Bamford off put Rodrigo up front and Pablo behind him. Rodrigo would have
got to the ball and held it up much better than Bamford. Bielsa will never do
that because his system doesn't allow it. Pablo and Rodrigo can't be on the
pitch at the same time. Frustrating.
Raphinha - 7. Lively first half. I would have moved him more centrally 2nd half
becase he hardly got a kick an we need him on the ball.
Bamford - 5. Good run and dive for the pen an a great pen but apart from that I
thought he was ineffective. Yes he was feeding on scraps but I think Rodrigo
would have made more of that position in the 2nd half.
Harrison - 5. One or two good crosses in the first half but generally he was
back to his worse and that miss was typical.
Subs:
Pablo - 7. Lively on the counter,
Shack - 7. Did what Klich wasn't
Poveda - 7. Defended well and had a couple of moments but his crossing was
poor. I'd give him a start over Harrison.