EARTH MATTERS can be heard on 3CR in Melbourne Sunday 11am, 2XX Canberra
Tuesday 10am, 8CCC Alice Springs Sundays between 8-9pm, 2NCR Lismore Friday
10am, 5UV Adelaide Thursday 2pm, 7LTN Launceston Monday 7:30pm, 2VOX
Wollongong between 9-10am & much more!!
Earth Matters
Program 78b
Juliet Fox
3CR Community Radio
ComRadSat Program 16/7/1999

CUE SHEET
INTRO : "Hello and welcome to ..."
OUTRO : "... see you then."
DURATION : 24'10" (frogs til around 25'10)

Kakadu Not "IN DANGER"??

On Monday July 12th the 23rd session of the Bureau of the World Heritage
Committee met in Paris and declined to list Kakadu "in danger".
Environmentalists and the Traditional Owners of Jabiluka, the Mirrar
people, attended the gathering to request that Kakadu be listed due to the
potential threat posed by the Jabiluka uranium mine.

It was a request supported by some of the most eminent scientific bodies in
the world, and required the vote of at least 15 of the 21 member states of
the World Heritage Committee. That Kakadu wasn't listed is not only of
great concern to the Mirrar traditional owners whose land and lives are
threatened, but also for the integrity of the World Heritage Convention -
the highest international body supposedly protecting cultural and natural
values around the world.

Today on Earth Matters we hear from both Ben Oquist of the Australian
Greens and Dave Sweeney of the Australian Conservation Foundation (ACF)
speaking form Paris. We also speak with Executive Director of the ACF, Don
Henry, about just what the World Heritage "in danger" criteria are, what
the 3 World Heritage advisory bodies did and why they made the
recommendations to list Kakadu as in danger.

Throughout the discussions we also canvass some of the concerns surrounding
the whole ordeal including the bullying tactics of the Australian
Government and the future integrity of the World Heritage Committee.