EARTH MATTERS can be heard on 3CR in Melbourne Sunday 11am, 2XX Canberra
Tuesday 10am, 8CCC Alice Springs Sundays between 8-9pm, 2NCR Lismore Friday
10am, 5UV Adelaide Thursday 1pm, 7LTN Launceston Monday 7:30pm,  7RPH
Hobart Friday 4pm, 2VOX Wollongong between 9-10am  on Saturday & much more!!

Earth Matters
Program 122b

Juliet Fox
3CR Community Radio
ComRadSat Program 23/3/2001
INTRO : "Hello and welcome to =85"
OUTRO : "... see you later."
DURATION : 26'56" (frogs til c. 28'00")

Cane Toads in Kakadu World Heritage area
Recently it was reported that for the first time, cane toads had crossed
the boundary in to Kakadu National Park in the Northern Territory. It's
predicted that they'll be in full force in the region either over this Dry
season or next. Today on Earth Matters we speak with Ross Alford, Associate
Professor at James Cook University in the School of Tropical Biology, about
the recent arrival and its potential impact.=20

Ross describes the devastation caused by cane toads in other tropical
areas, as well as describing the potential impact on animals such as
lizards and quolls. He also discusses possible preventive and research
methods and contemplates the question: are we getting any better at
stopping such rampages on our native fauna?
IN: "It is clear =85"
OUT: " =85 I think still a problem."
DUR: 9'32"

WA old-growth stops
Today we catch up with the situation in Western Australia regarding the
stop to logging of the old-growth forests there. Following the mid-February
state election, the elected ALP promised to put a stop to old-growth
logging following public pressure. Dr Christine Sharp is a Member of the
Upper House in the WA Parliament representing the people of the south-west
region of WA.=20

Today she speaks about the reality of no old-growth logging in a positive
light and explores the future regarding ecologically sustainable forest
management of regrowth forests. Chrissie recently released a discussion
paper on the future of logging in WA which is avaible through the WA Greens
website.
IN: "And that's actually true =85"
OUT: " =85 carry some message from the West."
DUR: 13'44"