PLEASE EMAIL TO YOUR FRIENDS AND NETWORKS

COMMUNITY LEGAL CENTRES UNDER THREAT!

As you read this the Howard Government is considering a report that could
result in the wholesale destruction of community legal centres in Victoria.

For example, one of the options is to merge Fitzroy Legal Service with
North Melbourne Legal Service to form a big, impersonal regional centre and
cut the existing funding by more than half!

THIS WOULD MEAN:
fewer lawyers = less service
loss of dedicated volunteers = less service
loss of links with local community
silencing our voice on law reform

The Howard Government has previously indicated that it needs to shift
funding from existing Centres to set up new Centres.

This is just shifting deck chairs on the Titanic!

More people than ever before need the help of Community Legal Centres but
the Government is not willing to put in more money.  They just want to
shift money around so they look like they are doing something!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
Stop Community Legal Centres being destroyed!

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Come to a P U B L I C   M E E T I N G - Thursday 12 JULY - 6PM
Yarra Community Youth Centre 156 NAPIER ST, FITZROY

WRITE TO POLITICIANS...SIGN THE PETITION...all the tools you need to take
action are our campaign kit? To get a Campaign Kit
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
drop into the Fitzroy Legal Service at 124 Johnston St, Fitzroy
OR ring our campaign hotline (03) 9411 1308

Find out more about Community Legal Centres (see below)

SOME FACTS ABOUT COMMUNITY LEGAL CENTRES

Community Legal Centres (CLCs) are a vital part of our justice system.
The Fitzroy Legal Service was the first community legal centre in
Australia.

For over 28 years CLCs have been independent of government and in this time
they have fearlessly advocated on behalf of the poorest people in our
community. Most people we help are on Centrelink payments and live below
the poverty line.  Many have added disadvantages of illiteracy, English as
a second language or disabilities.

In the last year alone 31 CLCs in Victoria assisted over 50,000 individuals
and all this was done with only $6.2 million in government funding.  That
is only $1.31 for each Victorian!  Compare this to $1611 per Victorian
spent on health services (96/97) or the $402 per Victorian spent on "Public
order".

CLCs are such good value because they have a lot of dedicated volunteers.
Fitzroy Legal Service has over 100 legal and non-legal volunteers.
Our 5 night a week free night service is staffed totally by volunteers!
  The
value of the volunteer contribution to CLCs in Victoria is about $8
million more than the Government puts in!

CLCs are community based and managed and accountable to the communities
they serve.  You can become a member of Fitzroy Legal Service and attend
meetings to have input about how the Service runs.

CLCs value their independence from Victoria Legal Aid and Government. They
are separate from Victoria Legal Aid (the government provider of legal
assistance).  But cuts to Victoria Legal Aid by the Howard Government have
meant that more and more people are having to rely upon Community Legal
Centres (CLCs) for help.  The Howard Government cut Legal Aid by $120M a
third of the legal aid budget over a three year period (1996-2000).  CLCs
have been in the front line of dealing with the inhumane damage created by
these savage cuts.

Most CLCs are forced to operate with 3 or less staff.  Staff don't get paid
very much but work hard because they are dedicated to providing justice for
all not just the rich!  Many centres have old computers and other equipment
that regularly breaks down!

Despite chronic underfunding CLCs provide top quality service.  We fight
injustice and get great results for our clients and our community.

We are committed not only to looking at individual problems but also to
campaigning to change the law and legal systems so it is fairer for
everyone!