Women's International League for Peace and Freedom - WILPF (SA)

a workshop for women and girls on the topic

"Military Strikes Are Not the Answer -
What We Need for Real Human Security"

Saturday 27th October, 2pm to 4.30pm

in the WILPF rooms in the Oxfam CAA building at
5 Hutt Street, Adelaide

Open to all women and girls who share WILPF's aims - see below.
No cost.

Optional: shared meal beforehand starting at 1 pm -  bring some food to share.
Hot drinks provided. If you arrive late, please ring the front doorbell.
Further information: 8296 4357

About this workshop:

WILPF  is an international and  long-established non-government
organisation with consultative status with the United Nations.
WILPF's aims are: to eliminate war and to work for human rights.

WILPF condemns all terrorism.  Both the terrorist attacks of
September 11 on NY and Washington and the 8th October military
strikes on Kabul, Jalalabad, Herat, Farah, and Kandahar kill and/or
endanger non-combatants.  We believe that this is not war - we see
this as terrorism, which we regard as criminal.

We believe that the perpetrators of the September 11 attacks should
be brought to justice through the available international legal
machinery.  We believe that the military strikes on the part of the
US and UK against cities in Afghanistan suit the terrorists' purposes
and further endanger the lives and safety of those of us who happen
to live in the rich "West". These military strikes make us all less,
not more, secure.

Osama bin Laden and Osama bin Bush are of one mind on their right to
pursue the use of terror and violence against non-combatants.

We in WILPF are seeking effective ways to communicate widely among
the Australian community the understanding that military strikes are
not a real answer to terrorism.

Maybe we have relatives, friends or work mates who support the
retaliatory actions of the US administration - which the Australian
Government also supports. This workshop on October 27th aims to allow
us to increase our capacity to really pay attention to people who may
support the use of retaliatory action and military strikes and to
assist them to broaden their perspective. Though it will include some
short presentations, this workshop will be a highly participatory
event.  It is open to all women and girls who share WILPF's aims. No
cost.