Refugee Embassy Journeys to Adelaide

Dave McKay and Ross Parry will be driving the mobile "Refugee Embassy" from
Woomera to Adelaide on Friday (May 3), so that they can present a document
to the South Australian Premier, Mike Rann, thanking him for his efforts to
defend the rights of refugee children in Woomera.

This will be the first time that the embassy, a banner-draped mini-bus, has
been away from Woomera since its birth on Easter Monday.  The decision to
establish an embassy in Woomera followed a weekend of demonstrations
outside the detention centre there, by nearly 1,000 people, a demonstration
that saw fifty detainees escape, eleven of whom are still on the loose.

"We wanted to help refugees through legal means" McKay explains.  "So Ross
and I informed police in Woomera on Easter Sunday that we were going to
stay on and seek permission to visit detainees on a regular basis."

McKay was rewarded for his candour by being arrested for trespassing, just
minutes after the last busload of demonstrators departed from the campsite
in front of the detention centre, on April 1... 'an April Fools joke on us
by the police negotiators,' McKay calls it.  A condition of bail was that
he could not even enter the township of Woomera until May 27, when he will
appear in court in Port Augusta.

"It was obviously an attempt to stop the embassy before it got a chance to
start," says McKay, who, with fellow Quaker Ross Parry, both from
Newcastle, N.S.W., simply moved to the Pimba Roadhouse, at the turnoff to
Woomera from the Stuart Highway.

"It was a blessing in disguise," says Parry, whose job it is to discuss
issues with tourists and locals who spot the embassy parked at the
roadhouse.  "We see far more people here than we ever would have in front
of the detention centre."  On one side of the blue and white bus, which is
identical to the ones used at the detention centre, are the words "Refugee
Embassy", while the reverse side says "Refugee Empathy".

"We don't think of ourselves as ambassadors in any strictly legal sense,"
says McKay, "but we do feel an overwhelming responsibility to express
empathy to the asylum seekers who are being accommodated at
Woomera."  Nevertheless, the embassy was approached by United Nations
representatives last week, seeking a report on their experiences with
regard to gaining access to detainees.

In four weeks of trying, the duo have only been able to secure a single
visit to the reception centre, but they are hopeful that things may soon
change.  They were told by the Centre Manager Designate, Mike Hughes, that
access to the centre was terminated because of their involvement with the
Easter demonstration.  However, the pair have given assurances that they
will not participate in demonstrations against the Government or against
the Centre Management if they can have their status changed so that they
will be able to visit detainees five days a week.

Toward that end, the appearance at Parliament House in Adelaide on Friday
will not be a protest.  "It's more of a pro... a pro... well just a
pro-demo," says McKay.  "We are pro-anyone who will take a stand in favour
of the emotional needs of these deeply traumatised asylum seekers, and we
feel that Mike Rann has set a sterling example by campaigning for the
rights of children at Woomera."

The time for Friday's meeting in front of Parliament House will not be
announced until word has been received back from the Premier's office with
regard to when he can be present for the presentation.

The media will be informed as soon as we know ourselves.

Dave McKay and Ross Parry
Refugee Embassy
Post Restante, Woomera 5720

Phone: 0407-238805

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.