To All who have contributed,

Thank you for all of your comments on my dilemma.  I was finally able to
get back to my mill today to try all of your suggestions.

I leveled my rails by using a single block of wood at each of the corners
and a straight edge lying across the two top rails. With the block in
place, I adjusted each the 4 corners for zero clearance between the block
and the straight edge.  I then checked the router for perpendicularity by
using a flat board and a surface cleaning bit just touching the board.
There was no visible gap with the bit rotated in all directions.

Then came the test. I turned a cylinder.  The results were quite good I
think.  Attached is a chart of the results.  The cylinder is 16 3/4" long.
The diameter is approximately 2.7 depending where you measure.  The chart
shows difference of .019" between one end and the other. That is real close
to 1/64".  I think I can live with that even though I would like it to be
.000".  What I find interesting is that the variation is not linear. At the
headstock end, it is 2.723, at 10" it is 2.700, and the tailstock end is
2.704.  I don't know what that means or if it is important.  I'm hoping one
of you can help me out there.

This has been quite an experience and I know a whole lot more about this
machine now than I did when I bought it!

I've got one more question though. How freely should the carriage move
along the Y axis and the X axis?  I've got it moving quite easily along the
Y axis but not so much on the X axis. Is that the nature of the beast or do
I need to do something more to tune it up better?

Thanks again for all of your help and patience,

Jim Riggen