Hello Everyone. (Its been a crazy week for me. Sorry to be a late comer to
this topic.)
I made my own tap a while back. I used a small section of lead-screw form an
old Legacy. my tap works well. (If you want I can try to chase the threads out?
if so let me know, I am willing to try.)
5/8"-4 acme taps are expensive and not easily found.  I know Bill owned one
before the fire. (I don't think it survived the fire?)
My suggestion as far as the New split nut goes. is to Run it on your machine/
acme screw with a clamp on it. in the attempt to break it in.  Im sure after a
short time, the plastic will ware in correctly., (like breaking in a new set of
shoes.Sometimes it takes a while.)
I would not  throw out the babby with the bath water, (so to speak.) What
Legacy sold you looks to be a good part. as far as the threads go.  the locking
knob can be re-drilled and tapped to the 3/8" tap size. (I think it the right
size? take a measurement form the original....)
talk to you all more latter.
C.A.G    On Saturday, February 2, 2019, 3:22:11 PM EST, Bill Bulkeley